The last week of the carnival is widely celebrated in Polish kitchen. Of course, you can eat Polish donuts PĄCZKI but these require some skill and patience. But there is a super easy way to still eat something delicious and homemade! Among all the Polish sweets you will definitely be able to pull off this simple recipe for Carnival Roses!
Traditional Polish crispy deep-fried and sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar pastry made for Carnival time.
Carnival Roses are just identified as the one for FAWORKI but take another shape. Very easy and very quick to make (20 – 22 min)!
Polish sweets: Carnival Roses Recipe
- 2 cups of wheat flour (300g)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of spirits, vinegar or rum
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ca. 5 big tablespoons of cream
- Oil or lard for frying
- Powdered sugar for decoration
- Any jam or cherries
How to make Polish Carnival Roses
- Mix flour, egg yolks, sour cream, sugar, rum, and salt in a large bowl; mix to form a dough.
- Knead dough lightly and roll out on a floured surface. Cut out 3 circles of different sizes. Make 3 little cuts on the edge of each circle (these would be your leaves)
- Put 3 dough circles together with the smallest circle on top – press gently in the middle for them to stick together.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan. Test the temperature by dropping in a pastry twist; the oil is ready when it browns and float to the surface.
- Fry your roses in batches throwing them with the smallest circle facing the bottom of the pan first. Wait until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.