Where to eat in Rzeszow? So you landed in Podkarpacie and you’d like to eat some traditional Polish food? Or maybe you’d rather eat regional Polish food? Here is the list of places that will help you out!
Podkarpacie, located in the south-east of Poland, isn’t maybe as popular among tourists as other regions but it definitely is special!
Traditional Polish food comes in a variety of shapes and tastes, so where should you eat if you don’t know Rzeszów?
A lot of Polish dishes contain some sort of meat. But, what choices to make if you are vegan or vegetarian <V>? As a vegetarian, I often have problems with finding something to eat in this region of Poland. So, below you will find a list of places and foods can make your vegetarian experience better ;)!
Karczma Wacławówka – ul. Strażacka 7, Rzeszów,
and another, smaller location in the center of the city at ul. Jana Matejki 11, Rzeszów
The smell of this place is just amazing and delicious! They serve everything you would eat in a Polish house!
Starting from breakfasts, through lunch, dinner and awesome huge portions of cakes!
The atmosphere is also very friendly so I bet you will leave with a big smile on your face!
Polish soups such as chicken soup with homemade pasta (rosół), sour rye soup with hardboiled egg & sausage (żurek), chitlings (flaczki wołowe) cost in average 8 PLN = $2.29 = 1.92€
I should also mention that their borscht is made in the traditional way – cooked on smoked meat.
You can choose from different meat main courses pork chop (kotlet schabowy), pork neck (karkówka), goulash with Silesian potato dumplings (gulasz z kluskami śląskimi). For these you will pay ca. 23 PLN = $6.60 = 5.51€
And of course pierogi! However here you will find something that I found rather unusual: <V> Polish dumplings with cabbage and cottage cheese (pierogi z kapustą i białym serem) for ca. 12 PLN = $3.44 = 2.88€
Something strictly for vegetarians is also to be found: pancake rolls with cabbage (krokiety), potato pancakes with sour cream (placki ziemniaczane) as well as sweet crepes with cottage cheese, apple, and nutella filling.
This will cost you ca. 13 PLN = $3.73 = 3.12€
Pierogarnia na piętrze – ul. 3 Maja 5/2, Rzeszów, Poland
Located in an old and atmospheric townhouse with beautiful tailed stoves inside.
This place isn’t the fanciest but their food definitely is delicious!
They’ve got a big variety of PIEROGI: so you can eat <V> potato & cheese (ruskie), with meat (z mięsem), <V> with spinach (ze szpinakiem), with potato & sausage (z ziemniakami i kiełbasą), with blood sausage (z kaszanką) and a some others. Additionally, a cold kind of buttermilk (kefir) that tastes great with pierogi (!) always waits in the fridge.
They sell 3 different portion sizes: small (5 pierogi) for 5 PLN, medium (10 pierogi) for 9PLN, large (15 pierogi) for 13 PLN ($3.73 = 3.12€) They also sell cold pierogi for take away 0,79 PLN/ piece ($0,23)
Szynk Rzeszowski – Rynek 5, Rzeszów
A great place to do shots of vodka and have some small plates of marinated herring (śledź), pork jelly (galareta), blood sausage (kaszanka), sauerkraut-and-meat stew (bigos) and some other Polish cuisine specialties. All for ca. 8 PLN = $2.30 = 1.93€
The interior features photos of old Rzeszów and some plates mentioning famous people from the city.
Matryoshka – Al. gen. Okulickiego 9, Rzeszów
This place serves the Polish border cuisine and of course a GREAT variety of PIEROGI.
- Lviv style pierogi with buckwheat and meat (Pierogi lwowskie z kaszą gryczaną i mięsem) <V> Pierogi with sauerkraut and mushrooms (Pierogi z kapustą kwaszoną i grzybami) will cost you here 14 PLN = $4 = 3.36€
- The BAKED pierogi such as Galician Pierogi with ham, mushrooms, peppers and cheese (Galicyjskie z szynką, pieczarkami, papryką i żółtym serem)
cost here 17 PLN = $4.88 = 4.08€
- An interesting taste to try is also soup called Russian beef soup (Solianka).
But here you have a chance to try some really special meals from the region such as:
- <V> Stuffed potato dumpling with meat or cottage cheese filling (Cepeliny z farszem mięsnym lub twarogiem) 18 PLN = $5.16 = 4.31€
- <V>Highlanders pancakes with traditional sheep cheese (Czebureki z bryndzą) 22 PLN = $6.31 = 5.27€
- Cabbage rolls in tomato sauce (Gołąbki z sosem pomidorowym) 16 PLN = $4.59 = 3.83€
Konfitura – Juliusza Słowackiego 8, Rzeszów,
A fancier place with Polish food served in a modern way. You can expect that the presentation of the dishes will be neat and elegant and the prices will be higher.
- <V> Potato & cheese pierogi (ruskie) and meat pierogi (pierogi z mięsem) cost 13 PLN = $3.70 = 3.11€
- Starters such as Crispy grilled black pudding with apple and mustard mouss (grillowana kaszanka), and Herring served with onion and apple (Śledź opalany) are rarely (if ever) met in every other Polish restaurant so you may want to give it a try.
- <V> They also serve Cep mushroom soup (zupa borowikowa) for 14 PLN = $3.99 = 3.35€
- Main meat courses also look interesting: Beef cheeks with dark beer sauce served with buckwheat and beetroots (Policzki wołowe z sosem z ciemnego piwa na kaszy gryczanej i buraczkach) for 31 PLN = $8.84 = 7.41€
Rzeszów Vegan and Vegetarian places
Let’s face it – Rzeszów isn’t really a vegan-friendly place. Even vegetarians don’t have many places to go to. But still, you can find 2 vegetarian restaurants in the capital of Podkarpacie.
6. Magiczne Smaki – Al. Krzyżanowskiego 4A, Rzeszów
You will definitely get here vegan pierogi with vegetarian filling and borscht with young beet greens! They also offer cabbage rolls (gołąbki), barley soup with prune (krupnik), homemade vegetable soup and some awesome vegan desserts!
It’s simply delicious and nice!
7. Verde Cocina Pizzeria Vegetarian-vegan – Grunwaldzka 7, Rzeszów
8. Zdrowo Zmiksowani – Fircowskiego 3, Rzeszów
They definitely deserve your attention if you are looking for a place with lots of vegetarian options where also your meat-eating friends will feel satisfied.
The owners definitely overtake their competition in the creative approach to vegan food and the newest culinary trends. They are not afraid to serve baked sweet potatoes, chickpea stews and carrot spaghetti in this corner of Poland! I’m really glad they are here!
Other places with good food in Rzeszow
If you are simply looking for good food in Rzeszów that isn’t necessarily traditional Polish food, but locals recommend it:
- Kuk Nuk – ul. Matejki 4, Rzeszow
They pride themselves on cooking only from fresh local products from Podkarpacie, and specialize in the sous-vide cooking method.
All starters are with meat so if you want to try steak tartare or herring with blackcurrant go for it!
<V> Pumpkin creme (krem z dyni) & topinambour creme soup (krem z topinamburu), pearl barley risotto (kaszotto z pęczaku), penne with gorgonzola (penne z gorgonzolą), goat cheese salat (Sałatka z kozim serem), and no main courses for vegetarians.
- Lord Jack – Rynek 4, Rzeszów
A good place to hang out over a beer. They are known for their BBQ ribs, two types of steaks and two types of burgers.
<V> Vegetarian salat (sałatka wegetariańska)