Dumplings with lentils are a delicious source of proteins!
These Polish pierogi are together with pierogi ruskie one of my favorites and I could eat them over and over again! And what type of pierogi do you like best?
Recipe for the vegetarian pierogi with lentils:
- 1 cup of cooked lentils
- 3 onions
- 0.5 portion (100g) of feta cheese, cottage cheese or tofu
- Salt & pepper
Preparation of pierogi with lentils:
- Prepare dough -> how to prepare dough
- Cook the lentils.
- Peel the onions, cube it and stir on a pan till it’s nice and gold.
- Put the cooked lentils into a mincer or a blender. Mince the lentils, cheese (tofu) and onions. Season it with salt and pepper as you like.
- Sprinkle the breadboard with some flour and roll the dough till it’s thin. Now, out of the rolled dough cut some circles – you can use a glass to do so.
Take the circle into your hand and put some filling in the middle of the circle. Fold it in half and close the dumpling by pressing the now touching walls with your fingers. Make sure there are no holes in the dumpling since the filling will leak out of the insight during boiling.
6. On the side prepare a cloth and sprinkle it with flour. Put the prepared pierogi on the cloth and cover them with it (it will stop them from drying).
7. Depending on the size of the pot in which you are boiling the water prepare few parties of pierogi (10-15 pieces) and throw them into the pot. Stir the water immediately to make sure the dumplings didn’t stick to the bottom.
8. Wait few minutes until pierogi come up to the top being nice and soft.
9. Take them out using a small sieve. You can cool them a bit using not to a strong stream of cold water. Throw pierogi into a pot and treat them with some kind of (butter, oil, lard with greaves)